My Tickell Family



John Hingston Tickell was baptised in St Andrews, Plymouth, Devon, England on February 1, 1824.

John Hingston Tickell married Susannah Jane Vigars in Tavistock, Devon, England on July 3, 1852. Susannah Jane Vigars was baptised at St Peter's Church in Lamerton, Devon, England on July 31, 1831. John lived in Liskeard, Cornwall, England in 1856. Liskeard was just over the border from Devon. It is believed that the family had a small farm near the border. John Tickell worked in the mines in the area, in either copper or tin.

John emigrated to Australia with his family arriving on May 3, 1870. The Crusader left Plymouth, England on February 3, 1870 with 440 passengers on board. On board were John, Susannah and their six children, Mary Ann, William, Fanny, John, Elizabeth and Joseph. The family came to Australia in search of gold.

The family settled at Wandiligong, Victoria, although they were also known to have been in the Harrietville area at some stage. Harrietville was a gold town at the head of the beautiful Ovens River valley in northern Victoria. At the town the river forks into two branches that drain the northern slopes of the Australian Alps, and Harrietville nestles at the foot of tiers of ranges that rise up to the snow country of Mt. Feathertop, The Razorback, Mt. Hotham and Mt. St. Bernard. Between the period of 1870 and 1879 the mining registrar reports included gold production from 74 identified reefs at Harrietville. It is quite likely that John Hingston Tickell worked for a time at one of these mines.

Wandiligong is located in the same region as Harrietville, being approximately 15 kilometres north west of Harrietville, as the crow flies. Wandiligong is in a valley located about ten kilometres miles south of Bright. The area was first licensed to a pastoralist in 1847 being a run on some 28,000 acres. A small settlement was established at Bright in 1853 (formerly called Morses Creek) and shortly after at Wandiligong (formerly Growlers Creek). In 1871 around the time of the arrival of the Tickell family, the population of Morses Creek and Growlers Creek gold workings was 1,153. During the previous ten years the population had been quoted as being as high as 2,500 or 3,000. Although there is little documentary evidence to support those figures, it is conceivable that the population had been to that level and then declined sharply as deposits of alluvial gold were exhausted. By 1891 the population had dropped to 670.

In the late 1800s John held the position of Grandmaster with the MUIOOF. The MUIOOF (Manchester Unity Independent Order of Odd Fellows) was a lodge which had its origins during the industrial revolution in England as a kind of self-help group, the members of which could get help when they were sick or injured at work, or assistance for their families if they died and funeral benefits were needed. John Tickell's name is shown as being a past grandmaster of the MUIOOF on the honour board on display in the Manchester Unity hall in Wandiligong.

Susannah died from cancer of the breast and exhaustion in Wandiligong, Victoria, Australia on October 17, 1881 and was buried on October 18, 1881 in the Bright Cemetery in Bright, Victoria, Australia.

After the death of his wife Susannah, John Hingston Tickell and some members of the family moved from Wandiligong in country Victoria, to Hawthorn, a suburb five miles from the centre of Melbourne. They settled near the area previously known as Melville Paddock, which had been subdivided in 1885.

John died in Hawthorn, Victoria, Australia on January 21, 1888 and was buried on January 23, 1888 at Boroondara General Cemetery in Kew, Victoria, Australia.

John Hingston Tickell and Susannah Jane Vigars had the following children:

Return to Lauren's Main Page

© 1997-2003 Lauren Thomson, Burwood, Victoria, Australia
Last revised: April 20, 2003
Email : Lauren